On this page:
Academic Genealogy---Things I Do For Fun---About My Name
It's not really that random is it?
CRA-W Resources for undergraduates
Planet of the Professors
I recently tracked down my ancestors:
- I like to play tennis
- I love to play board games, my favorites: Sequence, Risk, Monopoly, Scene it, Pictionary, Imaginiff, Pool, and Foosball
- I also like to watch movies, among my all time favorites: The Godfather, The Lord of the Rings, Stand by Me, Love Actually, Bridget Jones's Diary, and Love and Death, Death at a Funeral
- I love Music, I love how it brings about emotions and how we attach special events in our lives to songs.
- I also like dancing, so I'm currently trying to learn how to dance salsa.
- Last but not least I love animals in general, but dogs are my favorite, the larger the better.
The most common spelling of the name I guess it's Tamar, which more closely resembles the correct pronunciation. Having the "h" after the "T" leads people to pronounce this sequence as the digraph "th". In Spanish the "h" doesn't have a sound, it's always ignored, it's just there to make words look nicer =)
My mother picked my name from the Bible. Thamar was one of the daughters of David and her story is not a very happy one. There are different versions of Thamar in the Bible, none of them have happy endings. I hope to fare better than these woman did.
There's also a poem by the Spanish poet Garcia Lorca called "Thamar y Amnón".
I recently found out that there was a Princess named Thamar Angelina Komnene.
So, all the stories I know related to my name are tragic (OK, maybe tragic is too strong an adjective). But I still like my name, and I also like the fact that I'm the only Thamar Solorio out there. On the downside, it's pretty easy to track me down on the Internet =)